"Against Mindfulness"

Anything at all goes here. Keep it clean.
Great Sage EofH

"Against Mindfulness"

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:21 am

There is a growing number of articles, most of them highly uninformed, misleading, or down-and-dirty lies about Mindfulness Meditation-based practices. I'm doing an investigation of them for a rather strange reason: a Zen organization nearby sent an article out, which when I did routine fact-checking, completely misrepresented the article they were using as a primary source. And the primary source actually had no knowledge of Mindfulness techniques, or research either pro or con. It struck me that a lot of effort was put into creating a very slick journalism, that would convince many if they did not bother to check the sources. And I began to wonder, who profits from people NOT healing themselves through meditation? Big Pharma??

Try it yourself, and see if the publishers don't in fact reap quite a lot of advertising dollars from Big Pharma? Google: "Against Mindfulness"

Or is it this?? https://www.newsweek.com/mindfulness-me ... sm-1260323

Jay Sekulow, chief counsel at ACLJ and personal attorney to President Donald Trump recently criticized the use of mindfulness in schools on his radio program, Jay Sekulow Live, Buddhist website Lion’s Roar reported.

“We’ve got millions of people listening to this broadcast,” said Sekulow, per Lion’s Roar. “Find out what’s going on in your kids’ schools… We will contact the school board on your behalf, dispatch lawyers as necessary.”

Oh, and by the way, the Zen group that sent out the fake news story was also once listed as part of Eido Shimano's network, a little something they are not at all transparent about now. For my part, I'm backing slowly away from this group. If Zen had half a brain, it would slowly back away from the war against Mindfulness Meditation.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam

Great Sage EofH

Re: "Against Mindfulness"

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:05 am

Here is a more balanced presentation of the facts: patients with past history of psychiatric disorders are more likely to have adverse reactions to MBSR:

https://www.mcgill.ca/wholepersoncare/f ... n_2012.pdf

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:16 am

In this article, none of the linked studies support the statements in the article, in fact some say quite the opposite:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... indfulness
Maybe he's not very good with the English language?

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:19 am

A boring New Yorker with a boring life trying to "be in the moment" but really hating the idea of it all along:
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/26/opin ... oment.html

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:36 am

Dunno. Rather than read articles and believe or rail-against journalists' accounts, we can do the experiment(s) ourselves.

Let the fellers earning money per-word earn their money per-word. Of course, we may write Letters to the Editor, and hope they will be published, if we are good enough, or not too bad.

I don't want to branch-out, though, because I am already a Ch'an- and Zen- Buddhist, and am neither a journalist for Mindfulness nor a journalist for any sect of Buddhism. Except here! I 'work' for no monetary pay. :P

I'd advocate Ch'an- or Zen- Buddhist training for those interested, NOT to become a Ch'an of Zen Buddhist, but to become the truest form of who we are born as.

The traditions are a conveyance, not a conversion.

:namaste:

As I see it,

--Joe