"The Word"

Anything at all goes here. Keep it clean.
desert_woodworker

"The Word"

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:42 pm

In another thread on the more substantive side of the board, Mason asked me if I could say ONE WORD.
Mason wrote: ...can you say one word that is true, up and down and all around? Without the hints, gimmicks, ironies, puns, etc. Just one true word to fill space and time. What would you say, sir?
I did answer: "Off-topic". This was because the thread concerned something else entirely, so I characterized the question thus.

But I've come to think in a related (but completely different) vein about an aspect of what some call or name the Bible: they call it "The Word of God".

If I had been asked prior to the Christian Reformation (or even afterwards) the question, "Do you accept that the Bible is the word of God?", I would have been burned at the stake for my reply, or given some other inhumane treatment(s) for free-thinking heretics.

The reason is that I'd have to say -- and would have had to say then -- that, "It seems to me that the Bible is a good many MORE than ONE WORD".

And many more than just one voice.

I'd note that the word, or words, are highly edited. The Council of Trent, and other synods and council gatherings, made decisions about which texts were to be included in the Christian Bible. Some texts, like the "Gospel of Thomas" were rejected, and so I suppose were considered to be "contrary to the word of God" or just not of it. Thus, the body of writings which have been declared and marked as canonical writings has undergone a very intentional selection and endorsement process.

The same is true of the early writings of archaic Buddhism.

A good book on the history and doings of the Buddhist Synods and Councils which decided on the Buddhist texts to become canonical in the Tripitaka is one by the modern Indian scholar Amarnath Thakur (b. 1958); BUDDHA AND BUDDHIST SYNODS IN INDIA AND ABROAD, 1996; Abhinav Pubs., New Dehli. I have read and studied it and can recommend it with enthusiasm.

best,

--Joe

desert_woodworker

Re: "The Word"

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Some people in Zen Buddhist sanghas I've been affiliated with have "a practice-word". It's usually related to some topic, or habit that they practice or exercise a lot, or are guilty-of. Someone once told me, "Joe, 'Appreciation' must be your practice-word!"

She was/is right. Susan... .

(Susan is a Roshi, now, moved-away).

--Joe

Kaya

Post by Kaya » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:29 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:42 pm
In another thread on the more substantive side of the board, Mason asked me if I could say ONE WORD.
Mason wrote: ...can you say one word that is true, up and down and all around? Without the hints, gimmicks, ironies, puns, etc. Just one true word to fill space and time. What would you say, sir?
I did answer: "Off-topic". This was because the thread concerned something else entirely, so I characterized the question thus.

But I've come to think in a related (but completely different) vein about an aspect of what some call or name the Bible: they call it "The Word of God".
Absolutely wrong. "The Word of God" refers to Jesus Christ, not the Bible.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:52 pm

Kaya wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:29 pm
In their asking me that question in pre-Reformation days, and in my giving them my answer, I don't think it would have helped me or them to tell them they are "absolutely wrong", nor even relatively.

The book by Prof. Thakur is "a good book" on its topic.

I did write "some" in my saying, to wit,
...an aspect of what some call or name the Bible: they call it "The Word of God".
It's both (Logos, as Jesus; and, the Book), for Christian Bible-believers, it would seem. So your "absolutely" is absolutely wrong.

I await your sincere apology for your impulsive negativity.

Post sober.

--Joe

Kaya

Post by Kaya » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:20 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:52 pm
Kaya wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:29 pm
In their asking me that question in pre-Reformation days, and in my giving them my answer, I don't think it would have helped me or them to tell them they are "absolutely wrong", nor even relatively.

The book by Prof. Thakur is "a good book" on its topic.

I did write "some" in my saying, to wit,
...an aspect of what some call or name the Bible: they call it "The Word of God".
It's both, for Christian Bible-believers, it would seem. So your "absolutely" is absolutely wrong.

I await your sincere apology for your impulsive negativity.

Post sober.

--Joe
The word of God refers to the Bible.

The Word of God refers to Jesus Christ.

Read Barbara Thiering for an explanation of the pesher technique, as an aside.

No apology from you sought.

fuki

Post by fuki » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:07 pm

meister eckhart 3.jpg
meister eckhart 3.jpg (65.02 KiB) Viewed 308 times
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html