Words of Wisdom

Anything at all goes here. Keep it clean.
fuki

Re: Words of Wisdom

Post by fuki » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:14 pm

The purpose of life is not to transcend the body, but to embody the transcendent.
~Dalai Lama
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

fuki

Post by fuki » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:57 pm

167390913.Lwqnf6uJ.jpg
167390913.Lwqnf6uJ.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 1452 times

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:53 pm

37344119_10215801540689601_4695357307112914944_n.jpg
37344119_10215801540689601_4695357307112914944_n.jpg (47.37 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

guo gu

Post by guo gu » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:49 am

“Having no-mind one attains the way of no-mind. Attaining no-mind in oneself, the way ceases to be.”

~ Longya Judun 龍牙居遁 (835-923)

enjoy,
guo gu

lindama

Post by lindama » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 am

a blast from the past... Feb 2009, ZFI began.... I saved a few.... here is one. If you can't read the whole thing..... here is the last line....

This solitary brightness hears, understands and teaches the Dharma. ~Linji

by hrtbeat7 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:28 am
Followers of the Way come from all over to study the Way. I myself in past years turned to monastic discipline and delved into the sutras and treatises. But later I realized that these are just medicines to cure the sickness of the world, expositions of surface matters. So finally I tossed them aside and sought the Way through Ch'an practice. Later I encountered an excellent friend and teacher, and then my Dharma eye at last became keen and bright. For the first time I could judge the old teachers of the world and tell you who was crooked and who was straight. But this understanding was not with me when my mother gave birth to me; I had to probe and polish and undergo experiences until one morning I could see clearly for myself.

Followers of the Way, if you want to get the kind of understanding that accords with the Dharma, never be misled by others. Whether you're facing inward or outward, whatever you meet up with, just kill it! If you meet a Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet a patriarch, kill the patriarch. If you meet an arhat, kill the arhat. Then for the first time you will gain emancipation, will not be entangled with things, and will pass freely anywhere you wish to go.

There's never been one student who didn't appear before me depending on something. So I start right out by hitting them there. If they come with a raised hand, I hit the raised hand; if they come mouthing something, I hit them in the mouth. I have yet to find one who comes alone and free; they're all caught up in the idle devices of the men of old.

I don't have a particle of Dharma to give to anyone. All I have is cure for sickness, freedom from bondage. You followers of the Way from here and there, try coming to me without depending on anything. I would like to do some testing with you. For ten years, for five seasons, there's never been such a person. All I get are things stuck to stems, wild fox spirits! They chew away frantically at
every lump of garbage they happen on.

I tell you, there's no Buddha, no Dharma, no practice, no enlightenment. Yet you go off like this on side roads, trying to find something. Blind fools! Will you put another head on top of the one you have? What is it you lack?

Followers of the Way, you who are carrying out your activities before my eyes are no different from the Buddha and the patriarchs. But you don't believe that and go searching for something outside. Make no mistake. There's no Dharma outside, and even what is on the inside can't be grasped. You get taken up with the words from my mouth, but it would be better if you stopped all that and did nothing. Things already under way, don't go on with them. Things not yet under way, don't let them get under way. That's better for you than ten years traveling around on pilgrimages.

The way I see it, there's no call for anything special. Just act ordinary, put on your clothes, eat your rice, pass the time doing nothing. You who come from here and there, you all have a mind to do something. You search for Buddha, search for the Dharma, search for emancipation, search for a way to get out of the threefold world. Idiots, trying to get out of the threefold world! Where will you go?

Buddha, patriarchs- these are just laudatory words and phrases. Do you want to know what the threefold world is? It is nothing other than the mind-ground that you who are now listening to the Dharma are standing on. When you have a moment of greed in your mind, that is the world of desire. When you have a moment of anger in your mind, that is the world of form. When you have a moment of ignorance in your mind, that is the world of formlessness. These are the pieces of furniture in your house.

The threefold world does not announce, "I am the threefold world." Rather it's you, followers of the Way, who do so, this person here in front of my eyes who in marvelous fashion shines his torch on the ten thousand things and sizes up the world. It's he who assigns names to the threefold world.

Fellow believers, this body made up of the four major elements has no permanence. Things like spleen and stomach, liver and gall, hair, nails, teeth are simply evidence that all phenomenal things are empty of fixed characteristics. When your mind has learned to cease its momentary seeking, this is dubbed the state of the bodhi tree. But while your mind is incapable of ceasing, this is dubbed the tree of ignorance. Ignorance has no fixed abode, ignorance has no beginning or end. As long as your mind is unable to cease its moment by moment activity, then you are up in the tree of ignorance.

Followers of the Way, I tell you there is no Dharma to be found outside. But students don't understand me and immediately start looking inward for some explanation, sitting by the wall in meditation, pressing their tongues against the roof of their mouths, absolutely still, never moving, supposing this to be the Dharma of the buddhas taught by the patriarchs. What a mistake! If you take this unmoving, clean, and pure environment to be the right way, then you will be making ignorance the lord and master. A person of old said, "Bottomless, inky black is the deep pit, truly a place to be feared!" This is what he meant.

But suppose you take motion to be the right way. Every plant and tree knows how to move back and forth, so does that mean they constitute the Way? To the degree that they move, it is due to the element air; to the degree that they do not move, it is to the element earth. Neither their moving nor their not moving comes from any nature innate in them. If you look toward the area of motion and try to grasp the truth there, it will take up its stand in the area of non-motion, and if you look toward non-motion and try to grasp it there, it will take up its stand in motion. It is like a fish hidden in a pond who now and then slaps the surface and leaps up.

A man of old said:

The mind changes, following along with ten thousand environments;
The way it changes is truly most mysterious.
If you follow its flow and can perceive its nature,
You will have neither joy nor sorrow.

Followers of the Way, you lug your alms bag and rush off on side roads, looking for buddhas, looking for Dharma. Right now, all this dashing and searching you are doing, do you know what it is you are looking for? It is vibrantly alive, yet has no root or stem. You can't gather it up; you can't scatter it to the winds. The more you search for it, the farther away it gets. Don't search for it and it's right before your eyes; its miraculous sound always in your ears. But if you don't have faith, you'll spend your hundred years in wasted labor.

In the space of an instant you may enter the Lotus Treasury world, enter the land of Vairochana, enter the land of emancipation, enter the land of transcendental powers, enter the clean, pure land, enter the Dharma realm, enter filth, enter purity, enter the state of a common mortal, enter that of a sage, enter the realm of hungry ghosts or animals. Whatever place you journey to, whenever you hunt or search, nowhere will you find the living and the dead. All are mere empty names.

The way I do things at present is to go about in a true and proper manner constructing and demolishing, toying and sporting with supernatural changes, entering every kind of environment but doing nothing wherever I am, not permitting the environment to pull me awry. Whoever comes to me seeking something, I immediately come out to size him up, but he doesn't recognize me. Then I put on various different robes. The student forms an understanding on that basis and begins to be drawn into my words.

Hopeless! The student concentrates on the robe I'm wearing, noting whether it is blue, yellow, red, or white. Don't get so taken up with the robe! The robe can't move of itself; the person is the one who can put on the robe. There is a clean pure robe, there is a no birth robe, a bodhi robe, a nirvana robe, a patriarch robe, a Buddha robe. Fellow believers, these sounds, names, words, phrases are all nothing but changes of robe. The sea of breath in the region below the navel stirs itself into motion, the teeth batter and mold it, and it comes out as a statement of an idea. So we know for certain that these are mere phantoms.

The karma of sounds and words finds outward expression; the objects of the mind are manifested within. Because of mental processes thoughts are formed, but all of these are just robes. If you take the robe that a person is wearing to be the person's true identity, then though endless kalpas may pass, you will become proficient in robes only and will remain forever circling round in the threefold world, transmigrating in the realm of birth and death. Better to do nothing, "to meet someone but not recognize him, talk with him but not know his name."

The trouble with students these days is that they seize on words and form their understanding on that basis. In a big notebook they copy down the sayings of some worthless old fellow, wrapping it up in three layers, five layers of carrying cloth, not letting anyone else see it, calling it the Dark Meaning and guarding it as something precious. What a mistake! Blind fools, what sort of juice do they expect to get out of dried bones?

You rush around frantically one place to another. What are you looking for, tramping till the soles of your feet are squashed flat? There is no Buddha to be sought, no Way to be carried out, no Dharma to be gained.

Seeking outside for some Buddha possessing form
This hardly becomes you!
If you wish to know your original mind,
Don't try to join with it,
Don't try to depart from it.

Followers of the Way, the true Buddha is without form, the true Way is without entity, the true Dharma is without characteristics. These three things mingle and blend, fusing together in one place. Because you fail to perceive this, you let yourselves be called creatures muddled by karma- created consciousness.

Someone asked, "What do you mean by the mind that moment to moment does not differentiate?"

Master Lin-chi said, The moment you ask such a question you show that differentiation has already taken place and that inherent nature and its manifestations have gone separate ways. Followers of the Way, make no mistake! The various phenomena in this world and other worlds are in all cases devoid of intrinsic nature. They are also devoid of any nature that manifests itself. They are empty names, and the words used to describe them are likewise empty. But you insist on mistaking these idle names for reality. This is a great error. Even if something did exist, it would in all cases be no more than an environment that changes with what it depends on.

There is the dependent condition called bodhi, the dependent condition of nirvana, the dependent condition of emancipation, the dependent condition of the threefold body, the dependent condition of environment and wisdom, the dependent condition of bodhisattva, the dependent condition of Buddha. You live in a land of changing dependent conditions, what is it you are looking for?

And things like the Three Vehicles and the twelve divisions of the scriptural teachings, they're all so much like an old rag to wipe away filth. The Buddha is a phantom body, the patriarchs are nothing but old monks. If you seek the Buddha, you'll be seized by the Buddha devil. If you seek the patriarchs, you'll be fettered by the patriarch devil. As long as you seek something, it can only lead to suffering. Better to do nothing.

There are a bunch of bald-headed monks who tell students of the Way that the Buddha represents the ultimate goal, and that one must spend three kalpas carrying out and fulfilling all the religious practices before one can gain complete understanding of the Way. Followers of the Way, if you say that the Buddha represents the ultimate goal, then why after living just eighty years did the Buddha lie down in the grove of sal trees in the city of Kushingara and die? Where is the Buddha now? From this we know clearly that he was no different from us in the realm of birth and death.

Followers of the Way, the true Buddha is without form, the true Dharma is without characteristics. You are striking poses and donning attitudes all because of a mere phantom. Even if in your seeking you got something, it would all be the work of wild fox spirits, certainly not the true Buddha. It would be the understanding of the non-Buddhists.

A true student of the Way never concerns himself with the Buddha, never concerns herself with bodhisattvas or arhats, never concerns herself with the blessings of the threefold world. Far removed, alone and free, he is never entangled in things. Heaven and earth could turn upside down and she would not be disturbed. All the buddhas of the ten directions could appear before him, and his mind would not feel an instant of joy, the three realms of hell could suddenly confront him, and his mind would not feel an instant of alarm. Why is this? Because they know that all things of the phenomenal world are empty of characteristics. When conditions change, they come into existence; when there is no change, they do not exist. The threefold world is nothing but mind; the ten thousand phenomena are nothing but consciousness. These dreams, phantoms, empty flowers, why trouble yourself trying to grasp them?

There is only you, follower of the Way, this person in front of my eyes now listening to the Dharma, who enters fire without being burned, enters water without drowning, enters the three realms of hell as though strolling in a garden, enters the realms of hungry ghosts and the animals but undergoes no punishment. How can one do all this?

While you love sages, loath common mortals,
You're bobbing up and down in the sea of birth and death.
Earthly desires exist because of the mind;
If no mind, what can earthly desires fix on?
Don't labor to discriminate, to seize on marks;
Then without effort, you'll gain the Way in a moment.

__/\__

hrtbeat7
Founding Member

Re: Rinzai (Lin Chi)
by Carol on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:38 pm
FROM THE RECORD OF LINJI
[adapted from Burton Watson, The Zen Teachings of Master Lin-chi]

Followers of the Way, as I look at it, we?re no different from the Buddha. In all our various activities each day, is there anything we lack? The wonderful light of the six senses has never for a moment ceased to shine. If you could Just look at it this way, then you?d be the kind of person who has nothing to do for the rest of your life.
If you don?t have faith in yourself, then you?ll be forever in a hurry trying to keep up with everything around you: you?ll be twisted and turned by whatever environment you?re in and you can never move freely. But if you can just stop this mind that goes rushing around moment by moment looking for something, then you?ll be no different from the ancestors and buddhas. Do you want to get to know the ancestors and buddhas? They?re none other than you, the people standing in front of me listening to this Dharmo talk!

If you want to be no different from the ancestors and buddhas, then never look for something outside yourselves. A moment of pure light in your mind—that is the Dharmakaya. the Essence-body of the Buddha lodged in you. A moment of undifferentiated light in your mind—that is the Samboghakaya. the Bliss-body of the Buddha lodged in you. A moment of nondiscriminating light in your mind—that is the Nirmanakaya, the Transformation-body of the Buddha lodged in you. These three types of bodies are you, the person who stands before me now!
What is if, then, that knows how to preach or listen to the Dharma? It is you who are right here before my eyes, this lone brightness without fixed shape or form—this is what knows how to preach the Dharma and listen to the Dharma. If you can see it this way, then you?ll be no different from the ancestors and buddhas. As I see it there are none of you incapable of profound understanding, none of you incapable of emancipation.

Followers of the Way, this thing called mind has no fixed form; it pene¬trates all the ten directions. In the eye we call it sight, in the ear we call it hearing: in the nose it detects odors, in the mouth It speaks words; in the hand if grasps, in the feet it runs along. Basically it is a single bright essence, but it divides itself into these six functions. And because this single mind has no fixed form, it is everywhere in a state of emancipa¬tion,
Just get so you can follow along with circumstances and use up your old karma. When the time comes to do so, put on your clothes, If you want to walk, walk. If you want to sit, sit, But never for a moment set your mind on seeking buddhahood. Why? A person of old said, “If you try to create good karma and seek to be a buddha, then Buddha will become a sure sign you will remain in the realm of birth and death.”

Followers of the Way, the Dharma of the buddhas calls for no special undertakings. Just act ordinary, without trying to do anything particular. If, wherever you are, you take the role of host, then whatever spot you stand in will be a true one. Then whatever circumstances surround you, they can never pull you awry. You don?t have to strive for benefits, benefits will come of themselves. Even if you?re faced with bad karma left over from the past, or the five crimes that bring on the hell of incessant suffering, these will of themselves become the great sea of emancipation.
As I see it, there?s no Buddha, no living beings, no long ago, no now. If you want to get It, you?ve already got it—it?s not something that requires time. There?s no religious practice, no enlightenment, no getting any¬thing, no missing out on anything. At no time is there any other Dharma than this.
Followers of the Way, this lone brightness before my eyes now, this person plainly listening to me—this person is unimpeded at any point but penetrates the ten directions, free to do as you please in the threefold world. No matter what environment you may encounter, with ifs peculi¬arities and differences, you cannot be swayed or pulled awry. In the space of an instant you make your way into the Dharma-realm. If you meet a buddha you preach to the buddha, if you meet an ancestor you preach to the ancestor, If you meet a hungry ghost you preach to the hungry ghost. You go everywhere, wandering through many lands, yet never become separated from your single thought. Every place is clean and pure to you, your light pierces the ten directions, the ten thousand phenomena are a single thusness,

If you want to be free to be born or die, to go or stay as one would put on or take off a garment, then you must understand right now that the person here listening to the Dharma has no form, no characteristics, no root, no beginning, no place you abide, yet you are vibrantly alive. All the ten thousand kinds of contrived happenings operate in a place that is in fact no place. Therefore the more you search the farther away you get, the harder you hunt the wider astray you go. This is what I call the secret of the matter,

The way I see it, one shouldn’t be averse to anything. Suppose you yearn to be a sage. Sage is just a word, saga There are some types of students who go off to Mount Wu-t?ai looking for Manjushri, the bodhi¬sattva of wisdom. They?re wrong from the very start! Would you like to get to know Manjushri? You here in front of my eyes, carrying out your activities, from first to last never changing, wherever you go never doubting— this is the living Manjushri!
Your mind that each moment shines with the light of nondiscrimin-ation — wherever it may be, this is the true Samantabhadra, the bodhisattva of action. Your mind that each moment is capable of freeing itself from its shackles, everywhere emancipated—this is the method of meditating on Guanyin, the bodhisattva of compassion. These three act as host and companion to one another, all three appearing at the same time when they appear, one in three, three in one.
Followers of the Way, here and there you hear it said that there is a Way to be practiced, a Dharma to become enlightened to. Will you tell me then just what Dharma there is to become enlightened to, what Way there is to practice? In your present activities, what is it you lack, what is it that practice must mend?
What are you looking for? This person of the Way who depends on nothing, here before my eyes now listening to the Dharma—your bright¬ness shines clearly, you have never lacked anything.

[adapted from Burton Watson, The Zen Teachings of Master Lin-chi]

This solitary brightness hears, understands and teaches the Dharma. ~Linji

Carol

lindama

Post by lindama » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:08 pm

HHDKR.jpg
HHDKR.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 1397 times

lindama

Post by lindama » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:09 pm

guo gu wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:49 am
“Having no-mind one attains the way of no-mind. Attaining no-mind in oneself, the way ceases to be.”

~ Longya Judun 龍牙居遁 (835-923)

enjoy,
guo gu
:bow2:

:cat:

michaeljc

Post by michaeljc » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:11 am

The path is more important than reaching the destination
Source: some ancient Japanese dude

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:08 am

"I know nothing" - Manuel in Fawlty Towers

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:35 pm

bc4dcfe42cfa9904246b80842da717bd.jpg
bc4dcfe42cfa9904246b80842da717bd.jpg (35.86 KiB) Viewed 1311 times

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:20 pm

1ae6557582f278f908bd63c9dcad72df.jpg
1ae6557582f278f908bd63c9dcad72df.jpg (54.06 KiB) Viewed 1304 times

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm

Weeds of Worsedom.

Atman may be Brahman, indeed, in some religion. But correct practice is the only way to clarify and make real what's really what.

--Joe
Ignorance is to be ignorant of one's original mind. - Ma Tsu

Liberation is awakening to one's original nature. - Ma Tsu

A guest never knows how much to laugh at a family joke. -Henny Youngman

Bodhi-Mind is working for the good of others. -Hakuin

fuki

Post by fuki » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:22 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm
Weeds of Worsedom.

Atman may be Brahman, indeed, in some religion. But correct practice is the only way to clarify and make real what's really what.

--Joe
DSCN1554muiv.jpg
DSCN1554muiv.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 1274 times

fuki

Post by fuki » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:06 pm

"I struggled, fasted, sought for what was already present, perfect and everlasting within me. Like most of us in the body life I was in illusion; lost in glamour. I looked for the Spirit to reveal itself to me, when all that was necessary was 'relaxation unto God'. The Spirit was always with me, veiled because physical sight could not view it. The great secret of finding that Spirit was the 'letting go' of self. I, who longed so much for the touch of the divine, who dedicated my life to religious work, who read lives of the saints for their examples, who delved into the sciences of psychology, extra-sensory perception and all psychic phenomena, as well as into the occult sciences, who denied myself the usual sensual and reproductive life of a human being; who truly tried to obey the precepts of the Master, as related in the New Testament, I had not accepted the simple Reality of those words: 'Behold, I am with you even unto the end'. I had not been able to let go, and let the Spirit absorb me. As I now see my thoughts, actions, aspirations from this angle, I am realising that the very tenseness of my striving was my undoing and it barred the way to that very union for which my soul longed. I battered at the Veil which hid the Face of Divinity, trying by my mind and will to tear it away; the more intense my thought, the more real did I create the illusion. For the Veil was, as I now realise, the Veil of my own setting." ~From Testimony of Light, 1969 by Helen Greaves

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Then, dropping the sword on the floor, he says,

“Your Majesty, please remember the ultimate goal, for the sake of those who sacrifice their lives for it!”

from the movie Hero
by Jia-xuan Zhang
cooper

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:44 pm

“Self-arising wisdom is the base. The five negative emotions are manifested energy. Seeing emotions as mistaken is an error. Letting them be in their nature is the method to find the non-dual state of Liberation. Overcoming hope and fear is the result.”
~Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:51 am

"The Tathagatha is the mind of the sentient being".

--Ashvaghosha, AWAKENING OF FAITH IN THE MAHAYANA

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:47 pm

"Get out of the construction business! Stop building bridges across the raging waters of samsaric existence, attempting to reach the “far shore,” nirvana. Better to simply relax, at ease and carefree, in total naturalness, and just go with the primordial flow, however it occurs and happens. And remember this: whether or not you go with the flow, it always goes with you." ~ Nyoshul Khenpo

Stolen from a Fuki post on Meido's forum :D

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:52 pm

"Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

fuki

Post by fuki » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:52 pm

55887792_1208139046017896_2921271153685168128_n.jpg
55887792_1208139046017896_2921271153685168128_n.jpg (42.78 KiB) Viewed 538 times
:lol: