Hello From Airway Heights Washington

Introduce yourself and discover who else is here.
Georgei

Hello From Airway Heights Washington

Post by Georgei » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:38 am

Hi all...

Finding myself drawn towards learning about and applying Buddhism in my daily life. I joined up to the DW forum which is how I found this one.

Finding that entering into learning about is including being overwhelmed by all the different sects and practices. As a new person trying to find a simple entry into learning basic Buddhism and practices am trying not to get caught up in all the confusion. After the first several days of reading, it feels like "Soto Zen" Buddhism is where I would like to focus. It seems like it better sticks to Buddha's basic principles.

The four noble truths
The eightfold path
The middle way
The three jewels

Two schools of Zen, Soto and Rinzai. Buddhist beliefs, Zazen meditation, and concepts.

For a new comer like myself, these basics set forth by Buddha seem the obvious path.

Again, I am brand new so have no experience nor do I understand why all the confusing sub sects and practices.. Over time perhaps will understand the need for all the additional "noise" and why not simply stick to the basics and keep Buddhism practices simple and straight forward like it is put forward in Zen Buddhism..

:107:

Really like the DW forum, but pretty sure will be spending more time here as it is specific to Zen Buddhism.. I have read on both forums an apparent decline in Zen practices.. For this newbie, it seems a likely reason is that folks have strayed from the basics that Buddha first put forward.. But what do I know :)
Last edited by Georgei on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Larry

Re: Hello From Airway Heights Washington

Post by Larry » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 am

Welcome :hatsoff:

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Georgei wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:38 am
... For this newbie, it seems a likely reason is that folks have strayed from the basics that Buddha first put forward.. But what do I know :)
Welcome! Zen students would say that Zen is the basics that Buddha put forward. However, so would all other schools.

Georgei

Post by Georgei » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:33 am

Thank you both... :)