Hello Zen Forum!

Introduce yourself and discover who else is here.
Drenpa

Hello Zen Forum!

Post by Drenpa » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 pm

Hey all,

While I'm not qualified to say much of anything about Zen other than I enjoy the oral tradition, stories & Koans a lot. So I mostly look forward to lurking here, although I guess I reserve the right to ask questions - but they would probably be more annoying and deal with hackneyed subjects displaying my ignorance than anything interesting.

So I'll lurk and read a bit, and only then if I simply can't help myself I'll pop off and ask those annoying questions serious practitioners of Zen probably face on a regular basis - things like "how can a Buddhist not believe in reincarnation" blah blah blah.

While I can't say anything intelligent about Zen, I am an expert on me - my own life and afflictions, as well as the reasons I gravitated to BuddhaDharma in the first place, after having been raised in a cult with origins in N. America. So I'm happy to discuss those things. I'm mostly looking for fellowship and to read and learn from experienced Zen practitioners. I do have a teacher & tradition, but it's not that important as I'm here for the Zen, man.

Looking forward to being a small part of your burgeoning new community. I have a strong appreciation and tend to feel real kinship with anyone who seriously practices Dharma & cultivates bodhichitta - In this world we live in, that's a rare and precious thing, and I prefer to focus on the commonalities rather on the differences, which while interesting at times, are not the main point.

Drenpa (Tibetan word that means 'remember')

Meido

Re: Hello Zen Forum!

Post by Meido » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Welcome, Drenpa!
The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org

[Note: not reachable by PM. To get in touch please email through the website above.]

[james]

Post by [james] » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:02 am

Hello drenpa.
Welcome.
I’m enjoying the avatar pic you’ve chosen ... relaxed and alert.
Some of your words in the tension thread have stirred up the waters of my calm. Perhaps I will say something there.
Good to hear your voice.

james

fuki

Post by fuki » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:25 am

Drenpa wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 pm
I am an expert on me - my own life and afflictions
Great anyone can expound words and letters regarding the teachings of the Buddha. I find personal experience much more helpful then the theoretical part of the dharma, although I appreciate that too, daily life observations from various ppl are not in balance with scripture discussions on fora. So I'm glad you're on board!
:hatsoff:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:41 am

Hi Drenpa - welcome to Zen Space.

:namaste:
The most important thing is not at all important.

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Hello! :558:

Gassho, Jundo
Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha, an online practice place for folks who cannot commute to a Zen Center due to health, living in remote areas, work or family needs. The focus is Shikantaza 'Just Sitting' Zazen http://www.treeleaf.org

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Hello and welcome Drenpa !

Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Hey Drenpa, welcome to here!
I can't imagine that Zen and TB aren't about remembering the exact same "thing", so please feel free to contribute!

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:15 pm

Welcome Drenpa! Don’t worry about questions as any you ask will be ones others secretly want to ask, but are too shy. Anyone of any religion “who seriously practices Dharma & cultivates bodhichitta” is somebody we can all learn from :110:

Drenpa

Post by Drenpa » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:21 am

Fruitzilla wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 pm
Hey Drenpa, welcome to here!
I can't imagine that Zen and TB aren't about remembering the exact same "thing", so please feel free to contribute!
Couldn't agree more, FZ.

I'm was very happy to log back in and see the kind and engaging responses. The erratic pattern of my posting is only a reflection of the time available to these days in meat-space, which of course waxes and wanes as it does for everyone. But nothing in this world holds as much interest for me as that "thing" your referring to Fruitzilla, so a place like Zenspace where that interest is reciprocated and reflected without guile or cynicism is something rare and precious. Maybe we'll be seeing more of each other.

Sincere thanks to everyone who's taken the time to make this a good experience for me.

D

lobster

Post by lobster » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:11 am

Drenpa wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:21 am
Sincere thanks to everyone who's taken the time to make this a good experience for me.

D
:111:

In the Zenby tradition, newbies are treated as if Zen Mistresses (beginners mindlessness) :113:
As people (also available in zen circles) progress and deepen, they become more sensitive to new kinds of kindness :116:

Please feel welcome to answer or ask all the questions you feel pertinent ...

For example I am intrigued if when the Buddha was a chicken, did he cross the road ...
However ... such questions are not always inappropriate ... :namaste:

Drenpa

Post by Drenpa » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:08 pm

lobster wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:11 am
Drenpa wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:21 am

D
:111:

In the Zenby tradition, newbies are treated as if Zen Mistresses (beginners mindlessness) :113:
As people (also available in zen circles) progress and deepen, they become more sensitive to new kinds of kindness :116:
(kindness) Compassion arises spontaneously and can take any form necessary to guide beings. I can see in my own process when my spiritual friends have used their wisdom to guide me, as well as when it arises in me, limited of course, by my own karma, capacity and condition. But in this limited experience of giving and receiving same, compassion can involve both carrot, (Pacifying & enhancing activity) and as you allude to, stick ( actions of wrath & subjugation) as need be.

When these are employed as an aspect of the compassionate activy of Buddha nature (or whatever you wish to call it) then they are the same - compassionate activity (kindness) for the benefit of those of us who are confused and relate to things in terms of entities.

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:20 pm

Welcome to the forum!
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam