Zen or nonzense

News and information about the forum.
bukowski

Re: Zen or nonzense

Post by bukowski » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi all. I don't visit too frequently, as I don't find that I have too much to say. As I have got older my practice has changed and I can now find practice in most things.

I have thought for some time that zen buddhism being a practical, everyday kind of faith doesn't lend itself well to discussion on doctrine or ideologie in the same way that other schools of zen may do.

Consequently, I think zen practitioners tend to like to "hang out" with other zen practitioners, rather than talk, debate and discuss philisophical perspectives.

Personally, I have no issue at all with this. Everyone can join in, or try to find somewhere more serious or structured. I think dharma wheel seems to do that stuff pretty well.

Just some ideas.

Metta, bukowski. :namaste:

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:14 pm

hello bukowski,

zen is about practice.
that's what we are practicing about.
cooper

[james]

Post by [james] » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:35 pm

fuki wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:45 am
Thanks Mason, I'm very happy you mention this, most people are oblivious to the functioning of nonzense :111: :115:
As I always say, you never know what is "zen" or helpful or what not, so don't judge a lounge by it's 'content' to soon (nor the cover)
It is equally accurate (meaning not very) to say that most people obliviously seek comfort in diversion. If your statement is indeed accurate then you are singing to an audience here of very few besides yourself. I agree with you that one never knows what is “zen” or helpful. But then the opposite must also be considered ... that one can clearly know what is not zen and not helpful. In my view much of what can be encountered in the lounge expresses the “seeking of comfort in diversion”, more to the point in silliness and frivolity. In terms of zen, practice or discussion, I don’t see much merit there. Maybe you could clarify how I may benefit from the functioning of nonzense.
:111:

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:16 am

bukowski wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:00 pm
Hi all. I don't visit too frequently, as I don't find that I have too much to say. As I have got older my practice has changed and I can now find practice in most things.

I have thought for some time that zen buddhism being a practical, everyday kind of faith doesn't lend itself well to discussion on doctrine or ideologie in the same way that other schools of zen may do.

Consequently, I think zen practitioners tend to like to "hang out" with other zen practitioners, rather than talk, debate and discuss philisophical perspectives.

Personally, I have no issue at all with this. Everyone can join in, or try to find somewhere more serious or structured. I think dharma wheel seems to do that stuff pretty well.

Just some ideas.

Metta, bukowski. :namaste:
:560:
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

fuki

Post by fuki » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:52 pm

[james] wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:35 pm
It is equally accurate (meaning not very) to say that most people obliviously seek comfort in diversion. If your statement is indeed accurate then you are singing to an audience here of very few besides yourself. I agree with you that one never knows what is “zen” or helpful. But then the opposite must also be considered ... that one can clearly know what is not zen and not helpful. In my view much of what can be encountered in the lounge expresses the “seeking of comfort in diversion”, more to the point in silliness and frivolity. In terms of zen, practice or discussion, I don’t see much merit there. Maybe you could clarify how I may benefit from the functioning of nonzense.
:111:
James, thanks.

Ofcourse I know there's a lot not-zen and random chitchat and silliness too (it's the lounge) even that may have a function depending on causes and conditions, I don't know, I never look for things that are helpful or not. Whatever may happen simply happens, I either disregard it or find it functional, there are moments I find ,merit in the lounge and moments I don't, it depends, and ofcourse I'm not saying that anyone should look for merit or zen or whatever there, all I was saying is that anti-nonzense public announcements are based on a judgment/observation relative to whoever forms the opinion and you can't speak for others/everyone or "all" I find this true in daily life too, what others find most meritful or helpful is "BS" to me, and what others don't understand or frown upon is for me very helpful/beneficial, what I find "BS" I still get that there's a function for others there, I don't listen to jazz since it's not an aquired flavour I picked up along the way, some ppl do, it's not for me to tell them it's not functional or devoid of merit.
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:32 pm

i get a sense that i'm talking and i'm listening, at the forum.
cooper